Monday, September 22, 2008

My Son's Lesson - Hopefully Understood!


This morning, as I went through my son's school bag - trying to find room to place his lunch bag, I stumbled on a loose piece of paper which my son used to make a series of drawings. As innocent as they might have appeared to me, had anyone else seen them, my son would have found himself in a great deal of trouble!

Those drawings were of assault riffles, M16s and various other armed weapons.

I called my son into the kitchen and did I ever let him have it!

I asked him what ever possessed him to make such drawings? He knows damn well I have never liked guns and never allowed for him to play with them, even if they were innocent cap guns!

He stood there in silence.

I tried my best to recap all the recent gun related murders that happened on school grounds. I explained to him the severity of these actions and how many families' lives have been forever changed.

I even went as far as going onto "Google Images" to search for the most gruesome photos I could find. I wanted to show my son proof, for his own eyes, how terrible guns are and what they do to people who come face to face with them!

I hopefully made him understand that, although his drawings were innocent, others might not see them the same way. If caught, his teacher would no doubt bring him to the Principal's attention, I would get called into school and psychological testing would probably be demanded!

These days, with so many violent related events, no one will take anything lightly!

I demanded my son to ensure that such drawings were NEVER reproduced!

In this day and age, I find it absolutely deplorable that some parents still allow their children to play with guns and point them at their friends' heads and happily say: "POW! You're dead!"

If there is anyone that should have that gun placed to their head...it's the parent who placed it in their child's hand!