Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Mother's Determination


A mother will do just about anything for her child/ren! No matter the cost, no matter the obstacles, things will get done!

For almost 4 years, my son has been put through a lot more than any other child I know! He was forced to move out from the only home he knew! He was uprooted from a city he had just begun to appreciate and found himself relocated to unfamiliar territory.

He lost many friends during this process and had no choice than to make new ones. It wasn't easy for him, being the little Anglo kid that he is, as this new neighbourhood had absolutely no place for anyone who was different!

He was forced into the first school available and this is where his torment began! He was picked on daily by other students and found himself bullied from all sides. Even his teacher, a right wing block Québécois fanatic, gave him reason to hate being in his own skin! He spent his entire 2nd grade feeling like an outcast and undesired by all who surrounded him!

He graduated into 3rd grade by a hair! Needless to say, his previous teacher would have loved nothing more than to have seen him fail! During that year, my son was able to make a few friends, but most still bullied him. I caught him bringing toys to school and returning home empty handed. He found himself having to bribe bullies, in order for them to simply leave him alone! He struggled daily for acceptance. It became his one and only mission, as his studies began to suffer!

He barely made it through that year! His grades were so low, the school had decided it was best that my son join a special class, mixed with students of 3rd & 4th grade levels. He seemed to be doing better, but the taunting and bullying, outside of class, never stopped!

I found myself having to see his principal at least once a week! I think I could draw a detailed map of that man's office! It never failed, something would always happen and my son would be involved! It got to a point I simply could not tolerate it anymore! When would it stop?

It was upon speaking with the director of the school, that a thin beam of light appeared before me! My son was not the problem and his principal agreed! It was the school, its district and the "type" of students that filled this school's walls!

According to the principal himself, this school was filled with students that came from unprivileged homes. Children who were exposed daily to drug abuse, alcohol abuse and physical abuse! Low-income homes, with single mothers on welfare, changing boyfriends like they did underwear! No stability! No discipline! No care in this world! Those kids were being thrown out the door, like alley cats and pushed into the streets, so that their mothers could continue with their lives!

It's not for nothing my son fell victim! He was different from all of them! He came from a good home, with both a mother and a father! He had manners, discipline and not a single fiber of violence in his body! Sure he was picked on, as he knew not how to defend himself!

Trying to teach a child - especially a young boy, is already a task in itself, without having to add to this the pressures of struggling to fit into a place you simply do not belong!

How can anyone expect any child to succeed? It is virtually impossible!

For the last 3 years, this continuous bullying took its toll and my son's grades truly started slipping! I pleaded with the school to give him some sort of backup or support with his schooling, but their mentality was such, that it was "Swim or Drown"! It was as plain and simple as that! It was obvious to me that no matter how hard my son tried, he would never excel! Because of this ignorance, I started to contemplate removing my son, not only from his school, but from the French Educational System all together!

I contacted the English School Board and requested information on HOW to get my son into their system. What did I need in order to make this change possible? They told me he would be accepted, in a heartbeat, if I could only provide some proof, that his biological father attended English school!

My heart stopped beating!

This was not an easy request, as I had not spoken, nor have I seen my son's biological father in over 9 years! They were truly sending me out on a wild goose chase! Without the help of a private investigator, I honestly saw no hope in ever finding this man! I really could not afford it, as the cost involved would have truly ruined my family's life!

I felt as if I had failed my son! To see him suffer continuously, truly broke my heart! No mother wishes such a life for ANY of her children!

This year, in early April, we moved away from that godforsaken city and returned to more familiar grounds in Montreal. What a true blessing this was for all of us! We were finally surrounded by "NORMAL" people! My son entered a new school, mid-year, and things started to feel somewhat normal again.

Only one problem remained...

Due to the 3 years my son had spent in his last school - filled with delinquents, where the standard of education was BELOW normal, he found himself entering into another school, here in Montreal, where the standard of education was much HIGHER! This sent my son flying, face down, to the ground! He really found himself in quite the pickle and if he didn't work hard enough, he would inevitably fail!

I took the time to speak to his teacher, his principal and BEGGED them both not fail my son! I explained his situation and even got the principal from his old school to contact them, to confirm my allegations!

A few more months went by and my son passed into his 5th grade, but barely! He still had quite a deal of catching up to do and it gravely showed! I tried to keep hope, but something deep down told me, this was it, he cannot keep holding on by a hair! This would finally be the year he would indeed fail! Barely 2 weeks into his new school year, his first test came home and confirmed what I had feared! Zeros scored, all the way down the page!

I was at my wits end! I was very disappointed and hurt from deep within me! No amount of studying could ever bring my son back up to speed! I failed him! I ruined his future forever!

Not an easy thing for a mother to admit to herself! I felt like such a failure, as I failed my son tremendously!

One day, I logged onto my "Facebook" account and curiosity got the better of me. I simply typed in my ex's name and...

EUREKA!!! There he was!

For me, this was no different than winning the 6/49 Jackpot! Finally, I was able to contact this man, after 10 years and get the bloody information I needed, in order to end my son's suffering!

He responded by giving me the information I needed and I immediately contacted the Montreal English School Board and got the ball rolling!

My son's days of suffering will soon be over! It is just a matter of a couple of weeks and my son will finally be free!

NO MORE FRENCH SCHOOLS!

There truly is a GOD!